Roland HOTbox™ for Encaustic Monotypes
The authentic Roland HOTbox, produced and fabricated by Paula Roland, is now available exclusively from Vent-A-Fume. Widely used by encaustic medium artists and teachers, the Roland HOTbox is often considered the most useful, versatile, and energy efficient heated palette for working in the encaustic medium.
The new Gen3 model measures 16-in. x 22-in. x 6.25-in. (high) and features a 1-year warranty. An optional “Plus 3” warranty is available—4 years total. Contact us today about interest-free financing!
Basics of How the Roland HOTbox Works
Four 100-watt light bulbs inside an insulated framed box provide even radiant heating to an anodized aluminum plate. The plate warms to between 155˚F (barely melting wax) and 200˚F. (Many encaustic medium artists work between 170˚F and 180˚F.) The evenly heated plate serves as a palette when painting with encaustic wax.
Pigmented wax is melted on the hot plate. Using encaustic with a brush or tools, the artist creates the work, a one-of-a-kind monotype. The molten image of the encaustic work is then transferred to an absorbent paper, a fabric, or other substrate. No fusing required. No heavy, expensive press is needed.
Anodized Aluminum Encaustic Hot Plate
Anodizing provides a strong, protective finish that is easy to clean and keeps colors from changing (oxidizing). The aluminum plates are 1/8-in. thick and available in three sizes to fit precisely over the Roland HOTbox in modular configurations.
- Single: 16-in. x 22-in. for use with one (1) unit
- Double: 22-in. x 32-in for use with two (2) units
- Pro-Set: 32-in. x 44-in for use with four (4) units
Performance & Safety Features
- To avoid over-heating, a temperature sensor will cause the bulbs to automatically turn off if the plate surface temperature reaches 210˚F, then turn back on after cooling to maintain the desired working temperature.
- Heavy-duty, detachable electric cord with extra wire insulation to prevent arcing.
- Dimmer box features its own 5.0 Amp slow-blow safety fuse to protect the equipment from short circuits and power surges.
- Available with Vent-A-Fume Encaustic Fume Extractor for encaustic medium painting studios and workplaces.
Artist and educator, Anni Hunt reviewed the Roland HOTBox. Play the video for her perspectives and recommendations.
Models & Pricing
|Model||Price||HOTbox Plates Only||Price||Accessory Plates||Price|
|HB17-Single||$599.00||Single Plate||$160.00||10-in. x 8-in.||$35.00|
|HB17-Double||$1,198.00||Double Plate||$320.00||8-in. x 4-in.||$20.00|
|HB17-Pro-Set||$2,396.00||Pro-Set Plate||$640.00||HB17-LGT BLB 2PK||$12.00|
|HB17-Single (No Plate)||$480.00||HB17-CLAMP||$6.00|